Craving fish en papillote? Don’t want to go to a restaurant? Well, worry no more. Fish steamed on parchment paper is called fish en papillote. Fish wrapped in a parchment paper is a foolproof way to make tender fish. Parchment papers are available at almost all stores. Parchment papers are grease and moisture resistant used especially in an oven. They have the ability to tolerate high temperatures in the oven.Wrapped in paper fish is cooked in its own juices and juice you like it to flavor with. Fish dries out easily, therefore, parchment paper works as a protective case to preserve its moisture. Paper pouch reduces the chances of overcooking.
In the oven the fish texture mingles with added flavor and pouch becomes a puffy balloon.Its recipe is so simple that you require hardly 30 minutes to bake this healthy and tasty meal. This simple and quick process will leave you with very minimal cleanup. Do you want to surprise and impress your family tonight? Present them their baked fish in their own parchment paper pouches. They will be impressed by the puffs of steam and aroma of fish and would love to enjoy flakey fish fillet jam-packed with yummy aroma and flavor.
The salmon baked in parchment or butter paper will be so juicy and moist that you will be astonished. It would be one of the best-baked fish you have ever eaten. You will wish that you would have tried it years ago. Make sure to use salmon fillets (the thickest part of fish). Other parts might cook too quickly making the fish dry. Use a skin monger to remove the skin or you can keep the skin if you like it that way. We have come up with a simple yet yummy recipe for you.
- 8 to 10 asparagus spears ends removed
- 4- 6 oz. thick salmon fillets, skin removed
- 4 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 5-7 dill sprigs
- 2 medium-sized lemons
- 2 tablespoon of chopped basil
- Extra dill sprig for presentation
- Arrange a rack at the lowest position in the oven and preheat the oven at 400°F.
- Cut a parchment paper in rectangular shape large enough to wrap the fish in.
- Cut the lemon in thin circles.
- Chop the garlic.
- Now place the parchment paper on your work station.
- Put 8 to 10 asparagus spears on the one side of parchment paper. (If asparagus are out of season or you don’t like them you can use zucchinis, potatoes, green beans and what not?
- Now place the salmon fillet seasoned with salt and black pepper.
- Drizzle a little bit of olive oil on the fillet.
- Cut 1-inch slits into salmon with a knife. Stuff garlic and chopped basil leave into them.
- Top the fillet with slices of lemon.
- Put a couple of dill fronds on top of lemons. (if you don’t have dill you can use any fresh herb like thyme)
- Fold the paper over the salmon and seal its edges but making fold that overlaps all around the edges.
- Tuck the final crease under the packed fish pouch to secure the seals. Make sure the packet is airtight after the folding of edges.
- Egg whites, water or oil are not needed to seal the parchment paper.
- Repeat the steps for all the fish fillets.
- Transfer the pouches to a large baking tray.
- Put the baking tray on the rack in the oven and let it bake in your preheated oven for good 10 to 12 minutes
- After 10 minutes remove the baking tray. Be careful tray would be very hot. Don’t forget to wear your baking gloves.
- Let the pouch sit for 5 to 7 minutes and then rip open the parchment paper.
Be caution from a lot of escaping steam when you tear the paper. Don’t burn yourself from steam
As soon as you will open the pouch you will notice that the dill has changed its color and doesn’t look appealing at all. Remove the dill and lemons from the fillet. Your fish is ready to serve. Simply transfer it to a serving plate and top it with dill and enjoy. You can pair it with any sides you want. This baked fish is best when eaten warm so it should be served piping hot straight from the oven. The moment you will take your fish first bite you will notice how moist it is. The fish will be juicily bathed in flavors and textures.
This is just one recipe. Salmon can be bake in parchment paper using a variety of ingredients. Make your own baked fish recipe by using your most favorite citrus, herbs,and vegetables.
Parchment paper is treat with silicon which makes it oven safe and grease resistant. Before buying parchment paper one thing should be kept in mind that always buys unbleache parchment paper for baking. The bleached paper contains dioxin which is toxic to health.
There is no wrong side of parchment paper. You can use any side.
Parchment paper saves time and energy. Fish baked in parchment paper is perfect for diet conscious people.
Don’t leave fish in the oven for more than 12 minutes as overcooking can make fish hard and dry.
You can use any flavors you want. There is no hard and fast rule in fish baking.
No need to grease the parchment paper. Parchment paper prevents sticking of fish skin.
Bake you fish today in parchment paper and let everyone enjoy this moist, flavorsome, mouthwatering and figure licking the savory dish.