The internet has become an integral part of human life and it is hard to imagine a world without it. Our reliance on the internet has increased with the profusion of smart devices. With the emergence of Internet of Things (IoT), this dependence will only grow. As web-based technologies permeate deeper into our lives, WordPress developers have to ensure that they know how their platform will be impacted by IoT. The open-source CMS which encourages people to convert HTML CSS to WordPress and migrate from other platforms can be integrated with the path-breaking technology. In this simple guide to WordPress and IoT, we will discuss how the two technological solutions can work together.
What Is Internet of Things (IoT)?
The IoT is based on the concept that physical objects can be connected to the internet and communicate with each other. Machines being able to communicate with each other is believed to be the next step in the evolution of internet. The ability to transfer data without requiring any human interaction is expected to make life much easier. A central heating system which adjusts the temperature according to a person’s daily routine is an example of IoT. the system does not require human input and fixes the temperature after registering the person’s presence and outside weather conditions. At present, it is mainly seen in smart devices like mobile phones and traditional desktops. Its usage is expected to encompass all aspects of human life in the coming days. From simple household appliances to fully-connected industrial establishments, the IoT will make things infinitely simpler for humans.
What Are Its Applications?
The technology can be applied for developing solutions in almost every industry. Some of the world’s biggest technology companies are working on integrating the technology in new fields. Let’s take a look at some areas where we can see IoT applications in the near future:
- Homes: The biggest impact of this technology can be seen in domestic life where it is already making its presence felt. From smart lighting solutions to appliances which work automatically, this segment will see a large number of solutions.
- Retail: Studying customer behaviour and store analytics will provide more incisive evaluation with internet of things at their core.
iii. Healthcare: A common example of an IoT application in this segment is the popular smartwatch. This sector can benefit immensely from solutions which will help save more lives.
- Transport: Another area where this technology can play a vital role in saving lives. Smart vehicles which automatically sense weather & road conditions to make driving safer will be developed in the near future.
- Manufacturing: Automation is already being used by product manufacturers but things will go to the next level with IoT. It will make industrial processes more efficient and increase the productivity of enterprises.
How REST API Can Make IoT Work For WordPress?
In this section of oursimple guide to WordPress and IoT, we will discuss the role of REST API. In order to communicate freely, devices need precise protocols and APIs. WordPress uses REST API to connect with other software applications meaning a route for communication with external devices already exists. Developers can use the API to create a range of applications for the open-source CMS users. Apart from using standard endpoints, they can also define their own to build custom solutions. Unlike some other tools, which we will discuss later, the API allows access to entire WordPress.
What Are The Platforms For Connecting WordPress To Devices?
There is no single established method of connecting WordPress to external devices. It does not mean that integrating IoT is impossible and there are a few systems which can be used. Let’s take a look at some of them.
Also Visit: 4 Bad SEO Practices That Can Affect Your Blog
- IFTTT: If This Then That or IFTTT is a free platform that connects various services through applets. It operates on two concepts of DO and IF recipes. The theory is that an outcome (DO) can be generated in response to an event (IF). It supports a range of applications (named as Services) including WordPress which can be connected with other applications.
- Particle: This is a platform for connecting physical devices to the internet. It provides development kits and custom IDEs apart from cellular platform and device management services for building IoT products. WordPress integration is made possible by Particle REST API and or its Spark Channel on IFTTT.
iii. littleBits: An interesting service, littleBits provides electronic building blocks for making devices. APIs and IFTTT can be used for connecting these devices to other systems such as WordPress. The platform also offers a WordPress plugin which provides an easier way for making an internet-based connection. The platform allows users to connect WordPress with several social media networks
Our simple guide to WordPress and IoT will give readers an idea about how the revolutionary technology can be teamed up with the open-source CMS to provide innovative solutions to a large number of WordPress users.
Tom Hardy has hands on experience as a WordPress Expert. He currently works at HireWpgeeks: WordPress Web DevelopmentCompany. Also, he writes informative blogs and articles on varied SEO related subjects and helps readers know the best tips how to optimize a website over the web using SEO tools and techniques.